I like..especially the last line, which i do recognize isn't original :) Hope you write about stuff other than IIT as well..and you might motivate me to bring my blog back from the dead :)
nice observations....i wuld lyk 2 add sumthng more...speakin of seein a progressively decaying personality and the complete loss of the person's individuality...helo!! most of our batch mates dont possess either of them..they have no clue what they want to do here (apart from mugging)...those who have tried to build one have tread along a not-so-good path..though it has brought some attention upon them...n speaking of roaming arnd the campus naked at nite,i feel i kinda saw sumthng lyk dis da oder day wen i ws returnin bck at 4 in d morn...
Coming to more serious issues, I think the change in personality is to be expected. Negative or positive is another issue altogether. But when you live in a particular environment, it is bound to change you. Every interaction a person has, every situation he has to deal with, every difficulty he faces influences him in some way or the other. It isn't always about changing for acceptance. I recognise a subtle change in my own personality over the past 6 months. What is important is to not let it take you over. You must maintain your own individuality while blending in.
@Nishit: Really, is that the more serious issue? :P
Now while I move on to the real issue, I cannot deny the fact that people will change and there really is no issue with that. The problem which I have tried to point out is what Sid has pointed out that people don't have any idea about what they want to do and while a lot of people may not have any idea as to what they wish to do they still are supposed to see how what they are doing is doing to them. As for the environment changing the person, it isn't really a given to think that a person placed in a new environment forgets everything he has learnt till now and accept everything that environment throws at him. Point in example : Schindler's List, Oscar Schindler
All that one needs to do is filter the good things from the environment and discard the rest. Even i've changed a little. Its all a part of life. But we need to keep a check on what we are changing into. That's the important part. And on the life in college, its mostly the same here in warangal as well... No one knows why they took up engineering at all. Its just kinda in-fashion thing for most. And as you said about workload, freedom, lingo thing as well...
i totally agree with you about the loss of individuality and blindly adapting yourself to the 'IIT culture'...dunno about IIT Delhi, but it sure as hell happens in IIT B...I find it really dumb when people start using IIT lingo even when it doesn't come naturally to them...and I hate the fact that living within the campus makes most of the people's views so narrow and restricted to within the campus... Btw great blog!! you have penned your thoughts well...
@Vinit: I had no idea you wrote a blog.Nice post on sales and marketing.The lingo aspect was what first gave me the idea to write something on this.It does very much happen in IIT D as well.
I like..especially the last line, which i do recognize isn't original :)
ReplyDeleteHope you write about stuff other than IIT as well..and you might motivate me to bring my blog back from the dead :)
~Appu
Well now thats something I've been trying for quite some time now...i still live in hope
ReplyDeletenice observations....i wuld lyk 2 add sumthng more...speakin of seein a progressively decaying personality and the complete loss of the person's individuality...helo!! most of our batch mates dont possess either of them..they have no clue what they want to do here (apart from mugging)...those who have tried to build one have tread along a not-so-good path..though it has brought some attention upon them...n speaking of roaming arnd the campus naked at nite,i feel i kinda saw sumthng lyk dis da oder day wen i ws returnin bck at 4 in d morn...
ReplyDeleteYou saw someone roaming naked on campus? O.o
ReplyDeleteComing to more serious issues, I think the change in personality is to be expected. Negative or positive is another issue altogether. But when you live in a particular environment, it is bound to change you. Every interaction a person has, every situation he has to deal with, every difficulty he faces influences him in some way or the other. It isn't always about changing for acceptance. I recognise a subtle change in my own personality over the past 6 months. What is important is to not let it take you over. You must maintain your own individuality while blending in.
@Nishit: Really, is that the more serious issue? :P
ReplyDeleteNow while I move on to the real issue, I cannot deny the fact that people will change and there really is no issue with that. The problem which I have tried to point out is what Sid has pointed out that people don't have any idea about what they want to do and while a lot of people may not have any idea as to what they wish to do they still are supposed to see how what they are doing is doing to them.
As for the environment changing the person, it isn't really a given to think that a person placed in a new environment forgets everything he has learnt till now and accept everything that environment throws at him. Point in example : Schindler's List, Oscar Schindler
All that one needs to do is filter the good things from the environment and discard the rest. Even i've changed a little. Its all a part of life. But we need to keep a check on what we are changing into. That's the important part. And on the life in college, its mostly the same here in warangal as well... No one knows why they took up engineering at all. Its just kinda in-fashion thing for most. And as you said about workload, freedom, lingo thing as well...
ReplyDeletei totally agree with you about the loss of individuality and blindly adapting yourself to the 'IIT culture'...dunno about IIT Delhi, but it sure as hell happens in IIT B...I find it really dumb when people start using IIT lingo even when it doesn't come naturally to them...and I hate the fact that living within the campus makes most of the people's views so narrow and restricted to within the campus...
ReplyDeleteBtw great blog!! you have penned your thoughts well...
@Vinit: I had no idea you wrote a blog.Nice post on sales and marketing.The lingo aspect was what first gave me the idea to write something on this.It does very much happen in IIT D as well.
ReplyDelete